Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Elena B.

Hello! My name is Elena B. and I attend the American Community School of Abu Dhabi, and I am 14 years old. I am originally from Chicago, but I’ve lived in Iceland, India, and now I’m living here. I really like the artistic stylings of Van Gogh and my favorite painting is Nighthawks painted by Edward Hopper.














I saw it when I was smaller in the Chicago Art Institute and it has always just seemed really interesting to me. I think the brushwork that Van Gogh uses in his painting “Couple Walking in the Trees” is quite beautiful and I recently attempted to replicate it for a unit we did in our Grade 8 Art Class using acrylic paint to replicate artworks. 



















Right now, Abu Dhabi is a very important area for the development and appreciation of art. Currently, a Louvre Abu Dhabi and Guggenheim Abu Dhabi are being constructed and I believe they will bring many people to them. I am inspired by artists like Andy Warhol, being a big fan of pop art. I am also a big fan of “Alka Seltzer” by Roy Lichtenstein. I really enjoy to see art from the 50’s and 60’s because of the vivid color and interesting style to it.

















This was my first piece of developed art from the year, a one point perspective drawing. I feel I did well on this, it being my first few weeks in Art and I think I have only improved throughout the year.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Elena! I think your drawing are AMAZING!!! You have a great sense of perspective and I love the painting in the first artwork. Hope to see more of your work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be sure to try and post more in the upcoming weeks! Thanks for the nice comment!

      Delete
  2. Hello Elena! I think your taste in art and your own artwork is simply magnificent!
    Keep up the good work! But if you really want to make the art better, I strongly suggest add more outline the rest of the trees, you started but didn't finish!

    -Alessandro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alessandro, but in the original, not all the trees have outlines. But I definitely agree that there were a few trees I didn't outline due to lack of time. Thanks for the compliment and I'm sure your artwork is wonderful too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Elena :) I really like your taste in artwork and you have some real talent! The way you painted the replica of "Couple Walking in the Trees" looked really similar to the original because of the "untidy" brush strokes and other techniques that makes Van Gogh so unique. A way you could have made it even better would maybe be to use more gradual blending for the black background to soften it a little more.
    And I absolutely LOVE your sketch (so yes, you should be very proud) and I think you got the perspective spot on, and looks super realistic! I think your art is amazing, and I really look forward to seeing more soon!

    -Natalie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I agree with you that I should have made the change in color more gradual and soft. I will definitely take that comment into account in my future artwork. And I'm glad you liked my art and I also really like Van Gogh because of its interesting look. I can't wait to see what kind of art you do! What kind of art do you like?

      Delete
  4. Hey Elena, I love these two art pieces! I like how it starts light at the top then gets darker and how the buildings are built. I love how the buildings are blank I'm not sure your meaning behind that but to me it says so much like a world soundless as there is no one and nothing to make sound. I'm looking forward to your other posts! - Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Elena, I like your 2 point perspective art piece! I like it because there is a lot of detail on your art work. I also like your art piece because it is precise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Elena, I like your 2 point perspective art piece! I like it because there is a lot of detail on your art work. I also like your art piece because it is precise.

    ReplyDelete