Thursday, April 16, 2015

3D Mask Progress and Finished Product


This unit of art is 3D art. For this project I chose to work with plaster. I made a mask using a classmates face and a picture of it is put in below. At the moment I have a very fragile layer, so my next step is to add another layer or two using plaster of paris (which is strips of dry plaster that is placed and rubbed with water to shape) and fixing up the shape of it. After that I must plan my design for the mask. I was thinking of incorporating more than just paint or color onto it, I might add some feathers or sparkles to add features to it. I wanted to design it on both sides so that the outside is beautiful while the inside has scars to have a meaning to it about expectations and reality. Any advice on how I should design it? Also here is a picture of the mask after I cut out the extras on the edges.











This is how it turned out to be after the paint, what I did was put glitter and make up on the front while the back is dull and gray with cracks and scars. It really represents how I feel at times and I am sure others can relate. What do you guys think?





10 comments:

  1. It looks amazing, I like how the mask is shaped , and the colors. I think you should add more colors and some feathers. Where did you get your idea for the mask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura!
      I decided to do this mask based on how most people are, (or at least me) making others think you are fine although you are scarred on the inside, or even how you might make others think you are great and make yourself beautiful although thats not how you really are. I was going to add more color on it like you suggested and I even planned on adding feathers, but once I reviewed my Idea i noticed that it isn't too attractive if I added too much. Less in more :)
      Thanks anyway!

      Delete
  2. It looks great, and I love the idea of putting scars in the back of the mask to talk about modern "beauty standards".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you have showed the steps you took.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mariam, this is a very interesting project. I enjoy how you've put two versions of the mask - inside and out, and I think you have done a great job portraying what each side shows with the colours you have used. Just out of curiosity, will this mask fit on, or will their be a stick, or band on the back to hold it in place. If it is a stick, you could also continue your design down it as well as the mask if you wanted to. Well done though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do decide to attach a stick though, and need any suggestions for the design of it, I would love to help you come up with something that you like! Thanks :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Nicole!
      I am not planning on adding a stick because the shape of the mask is a little bit odd after I cut out the edges, it looks great in photos, although it doesn't necessarily fit a face, so I will not be adding a stick to it. Thanks for the suggestion though! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. Hi Mariam :) This is mary from XIS, i love your mask, it's so cute and colourful (i love the colour), and its very interesting (the shape of the mask), and i love how you showed the steps of how you made the mask :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!! I really love your artwork its so interesting and nice! My names Milou from uwc btw :)

    ReplyDelete