Thursday, April 16, 2015

3D Plaster Hand Project


What I am doing in art class is moulding shapes out of plaster, for this 3D sculpture I decided to make a model out of my hand in plaster, and let it dry over Spring Break. I did this by putting my hand in liquid alginate and letting it form into my hand shape, then pouring liquid plaster into the alginate then letting it dry. The reason I tried to do this hand position is because I wanted to have something of mine that I myself think is interesting and kind of funny to look at, because that’s the kind of sculpture style that I personally really like.The reason I did this is because this is the first time I have never done something with plaster before and I feel this is something good to start with and get the feeling of how to work with it and improve upon in future artworks of this style



This is what it looked like when I originally put the plaster in the alginate (as you can see I didn’t have quite as much as I needed)

Here is what it looks like currently













If you can see that closely you'll see the middle, ring, and pinky are cracked, that's because they were originally broken and had to be put back together, and am no currently in the process of repairing them completely, I thing it will look very nice once it's finished. Now that I have done this, what do you think a next step is for me? What should I do next to advance this projects complexity?

Now that I have finished it here is what it looks like




19 comments:

  1. The hand looks really well structured and the detail on it is very good. Maybe after this you could put a glaze on the hand so that it looks tidier?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Connor, this sculpture looks amazing, love the idea of the 3D Hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi conner, this looks amazing! Is this your own hand? look at my posts and comment please! also my instagram is tiesvrijn so add me, for every follower i get points from my teacher and the one with the most points wins a prize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, and yes this is my own hand

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    My name is Tanya, from SIngapore.
    I think your artwork is amazing! I've always thought plaster sculptures were cool, and your hand sculpture is really nice. I love the shape of the hand, like it's reaching out at something. Do you think you think you will paint it, or just leave it blank?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Connor, the detail on your sculpture is really nice and shows how the hand is bending, the hand it self looks quite realistic and the idea was really unique. Maybe when you're done you could highlight the shadows in the palm of your sculpture using paint?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Connor! I love your sculpture and the hand looks very realistic and has great detail to it. I think you should paint the hand with skin colour and paint the nails. did you make a mould for it or was it a ready mould? Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the mould myself out of the pink alginate, stuck my hand in and it took the shape

      Delete
  7. Hey Connor! I love your sculpture and the hand looks very realistic and has great detail to it. I think you should paint the hand with skin colour and paint the nails. did you make a mould for it or was it a ready mould? Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Connor, I really like the detail and it looks real! The nails are formed very nicely. I can't believe that this is your first plaster!! The hand has the crinkles just right and look really cool. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Connor, I really like your piece! Plaster isn't a media typically used in middle school art classes and I'm wondering if it was difficult for you to work with it for the first time? Overall, I think the detail is amazing and even despite the fact that it cracked, it doesn't ruin the overall product. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Connor, I really like your piece! Plaster isn't a media typically used in middle school art classes and I'm wondering if it was difficult for you to work with it for the first time? Overall, I think the detail is amazing and even despite the fact that it cracked, it doesn't ruin the overall product. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wanted to say that it was hard to work with plaster for the first time, having to cut it out, and attach the broken fingers.

      Delete
  11. Hi Connor, I love the idea of making a sculpture out of your hand and it looks amazing. I love your problem solving skills when the fingers fell off and you reattached them and I think once it is glazed it will will so awesome, especially if you paint it realistically. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Connor, in my opinion this is a really cool art piece. It shows great craftsmanship and details. The cracks are fine, because it looks like a deeper wrinkle with more depth in the sculpture. This is an awesome plastered sculpture, and the hand shows deep emotion. Well done!!! - Charlotte ASD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Connor, I really like this sculpture of a hand! Maybe you can put some sort of glaze or oxide on it to make it look more interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Connor, your hand looks very realistic and smooth. I wonder about plaster, because I've never done it before. The position of the hand looks kind of weird. It looks like it's trying to grab something. Good job though :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Connor,
    I'm Olivia from UWCSEA and your artwork really stood out to me. It looks really realistic and I love the detail on it. Is your hand sculpture going to be glazed?

    ReplyDelete