Tuesday, April 21, 2015

3D Project - Alex B.

For the past 2 weeks or so (almost a week of class time) I have been working on a 3D project. If you've read my introduction, you would know I love 3D art, so yay me :). We could choose between using "trash" (scrap cans, metal, wood, etc.), wire, plaster, or clay. I chose wire, as it was the only material that I had never really used. I brainstormed for a while and finally decided to build a hat. I made the base, but then decided to make something different. I looked around at what other people were making, and I saw they were all art, and other than looking nice, served no practical purpose. After that and a little bit more thinking, I decided to make a basket. I used higher gauge (thicker) wire to make the base in a snail-like rotary form, and the handle. Then I used thinner wire to tie everything together and add aesthetics. I would twist the thinner wire along the thicker ones, as well as across, to help hold things in. There are some pictures below, and i'd love it if you could give me some feedback to improve my work. Thanks!


The basket with some stones inside

The lone basket

The basket with stones and a spool for scale

9 comments:

  1. I think you should and a organized design to give the basket more structure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bani,
    I really think that your basket is really intriguing due to the fact that I have never used wire before and how well this basket displays unique and abstract concepts. I don't know if this is possible but maybe if you used different colored wires maybe bright green or something bright, then you could make the basket more colorful by adding wrapped wire around the handle and the outside of the basket. Great piece by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bani,
    I really think that your basket is really intriguing due to the fact that I have never used wire before and how well this basket displays unique and abstract concepts. I don't know if this is possible but maybe if you used different colored wires maybe bright green or something bright, then you could make the basket more colorful by adding wrapped wire around the handle and the outside of the basket. Great piece by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an awesome art piece, especially with the idea of it being practical. I can really tell that you put a lot of thought into coming up with the idea of a basket (something useful) instead of just a pretty art piece. I think that the fact that you used thicker wire and thinner wire also shows how much you planned out the look and durability of the basket. Really cool and creative piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alex,
    I love the basket that you made. I think that from what I've seen this is the most useful and a well made structure. I don't think that I would think of building something like yours. I also like how your art work has 2 great colours that makes it a outstanding pice of art. If you are interested in my art work you can add me on facebook or other social media. Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Alex,
    I really like how you have constructed this basket, which is a very useful thing as well. It is good to see how you have thought about the practical side of things as well, with the basket being helpful as an artwork as well as an item for your future usage. The idea with wire is very ingenious and I am fascinated. I am looking forward to see more of your artworks. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alex,
    This is RuiQi from Xiamen International School. I love your idea of making a basket out of wire - it's really creative and interesting. An advice would be adding some colour to the basket, whether by painting it or using different coloured wires. Overall, it's really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Alex,
    I'm Olivia from UWCSEA and I love the construction of the basket and the idea behind it. I love the simplicity of it as well and its cool that the design is practical as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alex,
    I'm Farrah from ASD. I love the texture you've created with the wire, and the accent blue. I love how the design is practical, and is a piece you can use on a daily basis. I can't wait to see more of your work. Thanks

    ReplyDelete